Mystic Landscapes

Gido
2014-01-29 17:56:11
Hi

if you want to know what has been done with the donations from night on earth and mystic landscapes, go and check Lauren Rautenbachs photos:
http://www.kujaja.com/en/Lauren/photos/vuka-nomtoboyi#sets

As you can see the on the photos you can see the kitchen and the new Fridge and the new gas cooker, pots, bowls, mugs and crockery.
Lauren wrotes: "Now they have a brand new kitchen to provide meals to their 75 children! Nomute was beyond grateful and cried many tears of joy at the generosity."

They needed this the most and looking at the photos I feel really happy that we could help them! I am happy I hope you too!

There will be a party for the kids too at the 22th february then Lauren will make some better and more photos and hopefully also some video.

Thank you all for your effforts and photos! I hope we can continue to support the Vuka Nomtoboyi Home for children by selling more books, not a lot of books were sold. If you know any way of selling more please let me know

Dear regards

Gido

(PS I'll send this message too in the mystic landscape group and in the newsletter sorry if you get the message tripple this might of course happen)
Charlotte van Stuijvenberg
2013-11-08 21:46:01
The book is amazing !!! Thank you, Gido and Eva and everybody participating! The photos are of a very high quality, it's really mystical!

Greetings
Charlotte
Gido
2013-11-08 20:23:58
Dont forget to use the blurb coupon code to get up to 25% off!
25% Code: EARLYSAVINGS
25% Code: LARGEBOOKS
20% Code: NOVEMBERSAVE
15% Code: LARGEBOOKS
20% Code(UK only): NOVEMBER20

or always check this website before you buy:
http://mattsphotobooks.com/products/blurb
Chiara Bettega
2013-11-08 15:21:57
wonderful! just a question, will there be a cheaper version? Because not anyone can manage to spend 100 euros today...we could the chance to buy it to more people and raise money anyway...
Gido
2013-11-08 20:47:28
It is not planed Chiara. The difference between a medium and a large book is with the really thick paper not really big. Even the mini book would cost around 80$ which would be 18x18 cm size. For the prices are so close we decided to do only a big book which would "justify" the price more then an expensive mini book.
For we dont use blurb's standard software each size and paper format needs to be uploaded and preorder by us it is hard to do many different sizes. Eva took almost a day to make a small copy of night on earth, I don't really want to ask this favourite from her again (most sold copies on night on earth were the big versions)
There is a 25$ donation on each book.

The only way to make the books cheap and still in a good quality is to do an offset print. Soon some changes will come, which will make the offset prints possible so we really can sell more.

dear regards
Kujaja
Chiara Bettega
2013-11-08 21:05:08
Don't worry Kujaja, I understand perfectly, I was just asking if it was possible...anyway, Eva & you did a great job, so thanks to both!
Claus Puhlmann
2013-11-08 13:31:19
It looks great, thanks to Kujaja and all the others who contributed to this beautiful book!

Claus
Gido
2013-11-08 12:17:02
I just recieved the reprint of the test book and it looks perfect now!

So the Mystic Landscape photobook is now online for sale!
The profit of this book will be donated to then Vuka Nomtoboyi home for orphans (orphaned by HIV) in Cape Town.

The book looks amazing and has very nice extra thick paper. Check it out at: http://store.blurb.com/my/books/4717957-mystic-landscape-premium-matt

Thank you all for making this project possible!

have a nice weekend!

Kujaja
Gido
2013-10-31 17:54:09
Hi All,

I got the test book back and it does look amazing, the thick paper is very nice and all looks great. You can see the cover here:
http://www.kujaja.com/en/photo/11837
But 4 photos had mistakes and I am too blame myself too... after asking all people for a higher resolution photo I forgot to upload my own in a higher resolution... the other photos had dust and colour problems we are working on that at this very moment so we can upload a new test print tomorrow night.
Because we are doing the photobook in such big size small errors are visible very quickly. There for small error dots become visible and if the photo is grainy one wont see it on the screen but in the print this is visible very quickly.
For there were no other (like textual) errors within the photobook I think we can still start the sell this weekend but I am not 100% sure yet.

In the test print I have here are white dots on the photos on some pages which are not in the photos. If this happens to you just make a photo and send it to support at blurb.com you will get a new free copy send to you ..Be always very very critical with the printing, the print is very expensive and you should get the 100% quality you pay for.

okay as soon as we are done I send you another message

Dear regards

Kujaja

Gido
2013-10-24 03:15:10
Thanks!
but pls thank Eva more (I think she will like it, for it aint easy working with me), you can comment her on her profil at:
http://www.kujaja.com/en/eva/comment/

I changed the url with the preview to here:
http://www.kujaja.com/en/kujaja/photos/mystic-landscapes
so not all photos appear in the "new photos" tab anymore
There is one error Rui's photo is 2 times in the book (for his and Fransisco Alcutands photo look rather simular) we swapped it to the right image

@prasana thank you for your so kind and somehow poetic comments :-)
@Danke dir Werner für deine liebe Wörter!
@ Janine, the choses of photos were this time Eva's and she chose the photos which fit the most together following a certain order if you look good you see it. At the end I added a few photos which had a lot of points, we didnt realise you are 3 times in the book. 3 times is perhaps a bit too much within the night book we deleted then photos but mystic landscapes had less participants so it wasnt such big problem in counting the who's in more etc. Thank you for your nice words! I think we are just starting slowly. We are not known and don't sell a lot of books but perhaps one day this will change. A lot of people are helping us out with making connections to others and there will be some adaptions so people understand more what we are trying to do.
To the intro, there is an intro which is very very nice. You will see it as soon as the book is online for sale again, I can say Lauren Rautenbach helped us out again ;-)
@Roman thank you too!
@Charlotte thank you! I must say at one minute on earth you were just on the edge of in or out you were in the book then out then in then out, I am happy you are in the book now! :-) Thank you for all your efforts and photos

If you all want to keep helping out, the easiest and most important thing to do is to keep also looking at other peoples work, (vote and) comment it, tell the truth what you think (politly) and invite your friends, to keep this community alive. If you post a photo and nobody comments it ... it is unknown what people think

Thank you all again

Kujaja (Gido)
PRASANNA KUMAR
2013-10-23 22:18:55
Absolutely brilliant Images in there..... Gonna be a superlative book....
Kudos to you brother Kujaja.... You truly are one of a kind.... This website and every book seeing the light of day is the fruit of your perseverance and efforts.....
Werner Monatsspruch
2013-10-23 22:12:38
its a fantastic collection. well done, many thanks KJ for the great work. you did it with passion.

liebe grüße
werner
Werner Monatsspruch
2013-10-23 22:12:38
its a fantastic collection. well done, many thanks KJ for the great work. you did it with passion.

liebe grüße
werner
Janine Philipp
2013-10-23 21:36:44
Hi KJ,

First of all I want to thank you for all your great efforts. I honestly believe your project of creating photo books of pictures of the members is an awesome idea. I hope you keep on doing this for a long time as you are doing a great job.

As far as it concerns my photos I'm am fine with the results, and I am stunned that three of my photos actually made it into the book mystic landscapes.

With regards to the intro I would think an intro is a great idea, although I don't have anything to contribute as writing is really not my speciality. And I agree that we should mention the organization to which we would donate the profit.

All the best
Janine
Roman Pohl
2013-10-23 20:11:52
Looks great KJ!

Very, very nice pictures in this Book.

Greetings
Roman
Gido
2013-10-23 13:37:13
Hi All,

please go and check my profil and or the url:
http://www.kujaja.com/en/photobooks/results/mystic-landscapes-2013
You can see the results of the book and how your photo will be shown within the book. It is very important that you find your photo and take a look at it.

All photos had different sizes and formats, but we need of course a unity within the book, so like in the terms is always said: It might happen that your photo is cut off a little bit.
We have been trying to get the best out of all photos (which are all really beautifull) as best as we could. If you do not agree with the cutting of the photo which is understandable please write me an email at info@kujaja.com The unfortenute concequense will presumable be that we will take the photo out of the book. But since with Night on earth some people where not happy with what we did I want to give you all the chance to see the book before we send it to printing.

Thank you all for this great book we all made together! It's beautifull!

dear regards

Kujaja

2013-10-23 15:30:23
Hi Kujaja,

thank you so much for all your work! I am very happy to find my photo "Birth of light" in the book, and I fully agree with the cutting. The book will be really beautiful with phantastic images!

Charlotte
Gido
2013-10-17 11:18:55
Hi,

seems nobody reacted on my request for 2 days. I have no problem with it to do the book without intro, it seems you too.
I think without intro the book will work too.

dear regards
Kujaja
Gido
2013-10-15 19:57:30
Hi All photographers from the mystic landscape project,

I need some input, please read

we didnt have an intro text in the night book which is a bit of a pitty I think. I dont want to make this mistake a second time, but I have no idea what to write. Does anybody wants to write a nice intro to this book?
Just write me an email at info@kujaja.com Or we can write one here together that would also be great.

With the "night on earth" photobook we support "Vuka Nomtoboyi" which is a home for orphaned childer in Cape Town, South Africa.
I think we should also do this with the mystic landscape book for the total amount of profit we made with the night book isnt really high (well it is 550 euros now but it would be great to donate at least 1000 euro which is according to my calcualtion the same as 3 average monthly payments in south africa)

There is an alternative, I have been writing with the persons from the Ashalayam organisation and they are really happy we donated the profit from the one minute on earth book. They also told me they are at the moment active at a refugee camp in Burma- Myanmar where they will also go to in the beginning of this year. In that camp are people who fleed because their houses and villages got removed from the millitary because of the treasures in the earth where they lived.... I think in some way we could do that but perhaps not yet with this book... tell me what you think.

The intro text should contain the organisation I think even though this is depending which organisation we finally choose..

BTW The book is almost done, photos are to 98% selected and in order already, as soon as we have a good intro we can start the test print.

dear regards

Kujaja
Gido
2013-06-28 16:32:32
Hi all,

a small update
Eva is on a holiday now and as she returns I will go on a holiday too. I will prepare all so she could start the mystic landscape photobook as soon as she has time for it...
I presume the this book wont take so much time as the one minute on earth book did, for there wont be texts within the books ( like you all wished) like there was in the one minute on earth photobook.

have a nice weekend!
Kujaja
Gido
2013-06-28 16:34:20
(oh by the way I added a google maps to this book project so you can all see where the night shot where taken)
2013-06-10 11:05:38
Hi everybody,

I agree that it is better not to put any text in the book.

Oliver's idea sounds quite interesting to me.

Have a beautiful week

Manda
Oliver Weigel
2013-06-10 08:43:05
Hi to everybody who was taking part of this discussion,

I needed to think a short while before I made my mind up about this topic.

I can understand Kujajas intention to lift this photobook on another level through adding poetry to it. Could also find more people being interested in it, more people buying it. Means more money for the project, what is the main intention!!!

On the other side it means a lot for an artist to accept a poem beside his picture he may not be able to identify with even a little.
Poetry is an art, at least as "complicated" as photography or other arts.

My idea would be an extra project where artists from both sides work on from the beginning. Who wants to add what to who´s work and how, that´s something has to be worked out...

Oliver
Delphine Devos
2013-06-06 18:12:59
Hello my friends and sorry, I'm late (very busy for moment)
First, thank you very much, I'm really so proud to see my work honored
Hello and sorry, I'm late (very busy for now)
First, thank you very much, I'm really so proud to see my work honored

I think a picture to the mystical atmosphere tells a story
Everyone is free to imagine this story and that's what's nice
This picture then tells many different things
A poem or passage of text chosen is always nice but can be let everyone imagine the words he likes to read when he looks at a picture
Maybe he thinks a song, a poem or he thinks with his words because the picture makes to think

Sorry for my poor English, hope is correct ;)
Delphine Devos
2013-06-06 18:15:15
Sorry for bis repetita :D
Gido
2013-06-10 02:17:45
Hi Delphine,

okay okay ... no text! Got it :-))

Dear regards
Kujaja
Fokion Zissiadis
2013-06-05 19:55:36
As I previously said attaching texts on pictures is a very difficult task, and inevitably limits the boundless power of a picture ! You can imagine the case of attaching poetry ( even more difficult /subjective ) might end up in a total failure ! After all poetry is perceived entierly different in each one language/culture
So why you want to complicate things ?

Are you missing something ? Or you are afraid that the selection and aesthetics of the included photos are not adequate to please the reader ?

Texts, poems, subtitles, on pictures, if any, are solely the responsibility of the creator artist ! Therefore I suggest with all the respect not to attempt it !!
Gido
2013-06-06 00:25:42
Hi Fokion,

I understand that you dont like text to your photo. But I am not missing something and I am not afraid in any way. I do not mind making errors. I prefer doing the things which are not easy, and if I fail I or we can always fall back to the easy solution for the photos we have are absolutly awesome. The best we have since we started are in the mysticbook. We can do the book without any text and it will be superb. This is a discussion and if your proposel is just to put the photos in the book and nothing more... I cannot agree yet.
The discussion is there so we together can make a line in the book or just leaf it up to the designer. I want to know what you all think and for you are all very creative people I think you have your fantasies and thoughts too.

I am sure Eva can make a line within the photos from the mystic book just by adding mini designs additions which make it already superb. But I thought, I prefer discussing this with you before she starts even if no ideas come out of the discussion. Claus Puhlmann makes a good proposel to think about to whom we want to sell and how. If you want to make a good suggestion I am happy to hear it.

Look at http://www.blurb.com/books/4358307-lens-folio-your-passion-showcase-here-01#
Lens Folio has awesome single pictures, really really good ones. Most of you how are at facebook know them. But it is just a summery of great single pictures but I see no line in it, except that they are all B&W photos, the design is not really a design and that is an awesome pitty. Even if all those single images are great.

Now check best selling photobook at number one at blurb: http://www.blurb.com/books/4337594-de-kunstenaars-ateliers-van-bk49-amsterdam
and check all other photobooks at the best selling list... they are all books with a line in it, they are designed most of them have text even longer texts. The texts do not make the photos bad and do not limit the powers of the photo, they bind them.

You are an awesome photographer Fokion, your photos are really great they are saying a lot on its own and you do have your own style I am really happy you joined here. And you are probably right about the poems thats probably too hard. Please give some more input how we can make this book sell a lot!

Back to the discussion... Fokion is of course right that all the single images are so good they do say a lot... Still I think there should be an inner binding we should keep on thinking about this all ...pls input

there are more possibilites to produce a book. Check out: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/photography?ref=sidebar
we could present all photos which will be in the photobook, rais the money to produce this book in an format we want (bigger then blurb.com or any other big format... I think all these photos should be really big) by a real print company.
check out this project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/586262941/the-olympic-city

In this way we would already gain all our goals and rais a lot of money to donate too (thats is of course another which charity do we take?). But to do this I need help, proper texts (not in my english) a defined book size, pledge proposals, cost calculation etc... video? Its just a thought and a proposal...

have a good night!

Kujaja
Fokion Zissiadis
2013-06-06 21:03:28
Hi Kujaja

I didn't want to offend your aspirations nor your reasoning !I respect what you are doing, therefore I pleasantly contribute my photos and I enjoy all the process !

My main concern though is to help by stating a frank opinion about adding poetry to the pictures. But this is only my opinion. If the majority of the participants decide that poetry suits well to the mystic concept I will not object to that ! I have checked all the links you suggested ...... their work is superb from every aspect.

Due to the nature of my business ( Tourism & Gastronomy ), but also due to my identity as a family owner of one of the most renowned private collections of ancient Greek articrafts/objects Check www.tsolozidis-collection.org I have very good access to design/printing/bookbinding companies here in Greece which might be of help
Personally I will buy a number of books under the assumption that the aesthetics and quality of the final product will be of high standarts ! In fact I have some thoughts for future projects/cooperation in the field of tourism which we will discuss in due time !

But lets see first how the photobooks will evolve !

Have a good night
Fokion
Fokion Zissiadis
2013-06-06 21:03:31
Hi Kujaja

I didn't want to offend your aspirations nor your reasoning !I respect what you are doing, therefore I pleasantly contribute my photos and I enjoy all the process !

My main concern though is to help by stating a frank opinion about adding poetry to the pictures. But this is only my opinion. If the majority of the participants decide that poetry suits well to the mystic concept I will not object to that ! I have checked all the links you suggested ...... their work is superb from every aspect.

Due to the nature of my business ( Tourism & Gastronomy ), but also due to my identity as a family owner of one of the most renowned private collections of ancient Greek articrafts/objects Check www.tsolozidis-collection.org I have very good access to design/printing/bookbinding companies here in Greece which might be of help
Personally I will buy a number of books under the assumption that the aesthetics and quality of the final product will be of high standarts ! In fact I have some thoughts for future projects/cooperation in the field of tourism which we will discuss in due time !

But lets see first how the photobooks will evolve !

Have a good night
Fokion
Francisco Alcantud
2013-06-06 21:39:08
Hi, Fokion, I think all of us are talking about the same thing. I understand what you say, and agree with you. I think tht the book must be a piece of art, must be designed carefully and have a magical atmosphere, according to the theme. Becouse of that I wrote the other day that texts, prose, poetry... can marry very well with that atmosphere if the "artist" - each photographer - think that those texts or additions (why not drawings?) fit well with his image. It's an error in this book, I think, that everyone is oblied to add a text, but let's see what are the proposals of each photographer to add his own photo, if he have one. Later all of us can opine about .
Gido
2013-06-10 02:17:11
Hi Fokion,

I think you are right now, more and more people dont want to have text within the book.. so better we dont do text in the book.
your proposel is intersting!

Dear regards
Kujaja
Claus Puhlmann
2013-06-05 18:29:43
Hi everybody,

pls let me add some thoughts to this discussion.

First of all we should think about the question "Who will buy this photobook?" A fan of mystic landscapes? A photographer that is interested in beautiful pictures or in new ideas? Who else?
Someone who loves mystic atmosphere might also want to read poetry - but it is probably not easy to write a poetry for most of us in a foreign language ... and poetry lives from kind how the text was written.
And a photographer wants probably read the story behind the picture - where, why and how was the photo taken? how was it edited?
I am not sure what kind of text works best for this topic ... or is it a combination of both?
Francisco Alcantud
2013-06-05 18:39:56
I think that's the way, a combination. Some of them may be just images, some of them can be explained (but text too cold and technical may not marry too well with a mistical atmosphere) and some of them can be extended with texts - poetry or prose.
Also I think that not all the texts have to be written in english, we are in a global world and in a global project, why not let everyone express in his own languaje? that may get richer the book, I think
Gido
2013-06-05 19:05:08
I think our market should not be photographers, of course we all do reach mostly photographers if we post on facebook etc but a photographer doesnt buy a photobook so quickly and the group of photographers as consumers is of course a smaller group as all other non photographer people...
I searched on the internet for "mystic landscapes photobook" and also "mystic photobook" and hardly found something simular. But I think there are a lot of people who like mystic / fantasy / dark or mystic moods etc... Easiest solution would be to make a calender of the project but then we leave the book concept... another idea could be a ebook with music (hard to deal with the licenses of course)... peotry is like Claus said of course very hard in another language... and if we do peotry in all languages it ends up that I need to get the text translated ;-) like with the one minute on earth... (which contain 2 spainisch text 1 with translation and one without so I asked the 1 text to be translated... both texts are of course in both languages now) but that is okay for me
Perhaps it doesnt have to be poetry but a small text / story which only emphesizes what we see or make it even harder.... example http://www.kujaja.com/en/photo/2924 if one tells a small story why the children walk there and that they have never seen again could make it dramatic.... on the other hand I dont see in all photos the possiblity to make a story like that.... just thoughts...

To the part of "if my photo gets selected" I'll write something... thats not a good idea for also with the one minute on earth book the photos with long texts had an advantage above the ones which had hardly or non text at least in Europe. If we would have taken all photos with no text in europe the book would be almost without text... The photos which were taken who had no text I had to get more text and asked all personally again...okay if you made such hard work and the photo doesnt get selected thats of course not nice

Another idea is to ask one person who likes poems who writes all texts to all photos to get a line in there... who will also just pick the photos he or she needs to forfill this purpose... ..
just some ideas...

Chiara Bettega
2013-06-05 18:09:23
Hi everybody,

I think this thing of the poetry could be nice, if we decide for this I would not mind to write something for my photo..
Francisco Alcantud
2013-06-05 17:12:33
Hi, all
First of all congrats, Kujaja, for this huge work. Another great project.
I think that this book may have a lot of beautiful mistic images and some beautiful texts. Not necessary taht all the pictures have attached a text, but I think that poetry or nice words may work well with the whole atmosphere.
Maybe people who wants can write in their photos, and all of us (or Kujaja, or the book designer, or... ) can decide if the text is good enough.
I don't know if I will be in the book this time. If my photo is choosen, I will add a text
Congrats everyone
Gido
2013-06-05 01:14:58
Hi All mystic landscape photographers,

The one minute on earth book is almost done and then the work on the mystic landscape will start...
we have some really awesome photos here!

At the one minute on earht project we added texts to the photos and that turned out to be really good.

I think, if some one has an idea who we can glue the mystic book in someway perhaps with texts together pls tell what you think!
It doesnt have to be text, but a summary of photos is just not it. There is hardly any reason for someone to buy a photobook (unless its from a famous photographer) if the photobook is just a summery of photos.
Poems to the photos could be an idea presumably not all will like this... but poems are sometimes (or to me mostly) mystic too....

To the mystic theme, mystic is something we do not see but we think while looking at the photo... there is kind of hidden story covered in a mood ... we have enough photos which fit and are really good here...

But before I just start doing something I would be very happy to hear from you... !!

Thanks for you help!

Kujaja

Kazumi Ishikawa
2013-06-05 16:57:53
I think that the plan to add poetry to the work is good.
But who attaches poetry?
A case not to match the image that the author aims at is thought about if it is a third party.
On the other hand, in the case of a way of thinking that an author attaches, will there be really the person writing it?
I expect that I can have possibilities to give a contribution a wide berth if necessary at time to add poetry to a photograph work using time.
Is it a remark not to fulfill submission of you?
Gido
2013-05-10 20:04:12
Hi all,

I just see this is the first entry at the mystic landscape discussion.
There are only 3 days left to enter mysticlandscapes. I think we some reall good photos here.
As you can see there is also finally an offical icon photo which is from Delphine. I would love to use here photo as the cover as well. Gustis photo is highest rated and it is super beautifull but if his photo is on the cover I presume people will think the contents of the book will contain many more photos like his and that is of course not the case, I hope you all undrstand and love Delphines photo like I do too.
It is a pitty I could not reach Dragan Tordovic yet (eeh his last name is spelled wrong I tink) he has a lot of mystic landscap photos, perhaps you can help me ask him and we can still reach him on time( I am not so good onlne at the moment...super slow connection).
Also if you like to help, you can perhaps ask other photographers to still join.If you see a photo which fits in any other commnity and think this one has to be in the book please ask the photographer! We reall do have good photos but more is always better. There are not 100 photos in this book I presume it will be a small book but thats fine too I think
And if you didnt vote already pls do at least vote best of three so we have a better and easier choise.
The one minute on earth photobook will have some text in it, this is in some cases very nice. People will read take more time to look at the book. Perhaps you have an idea for the mystic landscapephotobook which makes the book even better.

Thanks all for joining I think this one will be really beautifull!
Have a nice weekend !

Kujaja

Register

Email Address

Password

Register with facebook
Signup with Google+

By registering, you agree to the Terms of Service.
Already registered?
Forgot password?

Login

This site uses cookies and other tracking technologies to assist with navigation and your ability to provide feedback, analyse your use of our products and services, assist with our promotional and marketing efforts, and provide content from third parties. Cookie Policy